My unexpected life

My photo
Blaine, MN, United States
City girl at heart who returned to the Twin Cities after a four year stint in the Stinky Onion known to the rest of the world as Chicago. Consistent nomad, frequently moving, changing, evolving. Striving to settle down and plant some roots. Recently became a single mother to Caleb Justus and am figuring out the adventure that is motherhood. Getting used to living in the burbs again close to family and friends.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Why Teachers Quit

Today it became crystal clear to me why teachers don't stay in teaching-especially in Chicago. 75% or more off all teachers leave the profession within the first five years. That is not good, so one would think that the people in charge would start to make changes to keep employees. Think about it, if you owned a company that had that high of a turn over...wouldn't you worry? Today I experienced the insanity that is Chicago Public Schools administration. What would you do if you didn't get paid for your job? No, I am not talking about not getting paid the salary you think you deserve, I am talking about actually working, punching in and out, and not getting a paycheck. That is what is going on in CPS right now. See, I worked every day for the last three weeks and was supposed to get my paycheck today...did I get it? UM NO. Why? Well, that is what I spent 45 minutes on hold trying to find out from our payroll department. After waiting on hold for 45 minutes and being transferred to three people..I got connected with an incredibly rude and incompetent woman who acted like I did something wrong and this wasn't a big deal. UM HELLO I NEED TO PAY RENT BITCH...is what I felt like yelling....but no, I had to be polite. So, I didn't get paid and as far as the woman in payroll is concerned there is nothing she can do about it, I have to talk to my school clerk on Monday....which I find incredibly amusing since the school clerk told me that I have to contact payroll...how can an organization that employs thousands of people treat people like this? What would Arne Duncan-teh CEO of Chicago Public Schools-do if he didn't get paid? I am guessing it wouldn't happen. Let me go on....its been insanely hot this August and my classroom doesn't have Air Conditioning. I have a thermostat in my room and its usually around 87 degrees in there. And I am supposed to teach while sweat is running down my face, back, neck and legs. Every day I feel the effects of heatstroke when I get home. Once again...would the CEO work ONE FRIGGEN DAY without Air? Um, I think no. Its a load of crap that keeps serious teachers out. I am too good at what I do and too smart to deal with this crap-so are the other teachers who leave. I love the kids. I love teaching....but this administrative crap is what is going to to kill me. So anyway, hopefully you got a little insight as to why teachers quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment