My unexpected life

My photo
Blaine, MN, United States
City girl at heart who returned to the Twin Cities after a four year stint in the Stinky Onion known to the rest of the world as Chicago. Consistent nomad, frequently moving, changing, evolving. Striving to settle down and plant some roots. Recently became a single mother to Caleb Justus and am figuring out the adventure that is motherhood. Getting used to living in the burbs again close to family and friends.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Define Petty

Friday, April 04, 2008

Current mood: amused
Category: Friends
I have a friend who stays with me off and on for several reasons. First my place is nicer than theirs, my neighborhood is more fun, i have tons of space, i am closer to work, etc etc etc....

Seriously this person has been staying with me at least two to three nights a week for the last two years or so. Honestly I usually like having someone around to talk to, hang with, etc. Most of the time its not a big deal. I, of course, have had many years of experiences with roommates that ranged from wonderfully fun experiences to tragically hellish states of chaos...and of course, a roommate is different than a house guest that doesn’t really leave but doesn’t pay rent. hence the present conundrum I face.

Over the time my friend has visited, they have never offered to pay for random incidentals that they consume. For example, toothpaste, milk, general groceries, lotion, laundry detergent etc etc etc. As I said before, generally not a big deal, I am easy going and generous and I truly believe in reciprocity. Now, this person is not s ranging lunatic scavenging my house for scraps of everything-they have been known to bring dinner over, provide beer, help with random projects, do laundry, blah blah blah.

Well, I recently got into this routine of making myself an egg and cheese sandwich on an everything bagel for breakfast every morning. Fills me up, gives me energy, all is good and right in the world. Well, my random house guest helps themself to my food as well, which again, normally not a big deal...but this morning-keep in mind its my first week back at school after spring break AND i just started my period so I am cranky-well, this morning I went to make my breakfast and you guessed it...

MY LAST EVERYTHING BAGEL WAS GONE!

Now i was pissed, but I took a deep breath, and calmed down to keep from over reacting, after all it is just a bagel, right?

So, i gently say to my guest and friend "hey, would you mind not eating the last bagel next time because I have one for breakfast every morning and I would appreciate it if it was there when I needed it" there was no negative tone, no snottyness, nothing.

Well....the happy house guest FRIGGEN FREAKED OUT AT ME. i am not kidding, it turned into a crazy, maningless fight where I was accused of making a big deal out of nothing, blah blah blah....i, was not making a big deal at all...I was simply staking my claim over MY BAGEL IN MY HOUSE. My guest has now decided that i am ’petty’.

Use my internet, watch my cable, use my washing machine, eat my food, never offer to help with bills, drink my soda, consume my toothpaste, lotion, body wash, shampoo, conditioner, etc....for years without me saying a word....and I ask NICELY that you not eat the last friggen bagel....and I AM PETTY?

WHAT THE?????????????

No comments:

Post a Comment